The last several weeks have brought some major changes to our everyday lives, and I expect to see more changes in the coming weeks.
To answer the #1 question that our clients are asking, the answer is YES. We’re still open for business and we’re still inspecting houses.
The New “Standard of Care” for Home Inspection Attendance:
I didn’t want to prohibit our clients or Realtors from attending the home inspection, but that has changed in the last month.
Many home inspection companies throughout the country as well as here in Minnesota are in agreement; the new COVID-19 standard of care is to have the home inspector perform the home inspection alone.
We’ll contact our client shortly after the inspection to discuss our findings, and we’ll reach out again after we’ve sent out our inspection report to clarify findings and answer questions.
We at Sky Blue Home Inspections ask for your understanding in this unique situation and hope that you see we are looking out for everyone’s safety.
While on-site, our inspector will take the following steps to help maintain a sanitary environment in people’s homes:
- We will sanitize our hands before entering the home and put on gloves.
- Wash hands multiple times during every inspection, especially after touching things like faucets, switches, knobs and door handles.
- Bring hand towels or paper towels for drying our hands.
- We’ll keep hand sanitizer nearby and use it when needed.
- As needed, we’ll use disinfectant wipes or the equivalent, on faucets, switches and door handles.
- After the inspection, we’ll use disinfectant wipes on our tools and equipment before going to the next inspection or home for the day.
- If our inspector has a fever or cough, we will not conduct the inspection.
These steps apply on all inspections, everyday.
With schools closed and kids potentially being left home alone, it’s also important to note that our policy is that we will not enter a home with minors present unless a second adult is present.
We will continue to monitor things on a daily basis, and we’ll adjust any of these policies as needed or recommended to help ensure everyone’s safety.
In short, people are still buying houses here in Minnesota. As long as that’s happening, home inspectors are needed. As long as people need home inspections, we at Sky Blue Inspections will continue to deliver high quality home inspections.
If Minnesota sees an executive shelter-in-place order, things will probably change for us. We have deemed real estate services an “Essential Business and Operation”. There’s a lot of uncertainty with all of this right now, but we’ll be ready to change or update if and when that is needed.